Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Knitting: For the love of garter stitch

I've been meaning to blog several things over the last few weeks, but I've failed miserably due to extremem laziness or interests in other areas.

But let me start with the garter stitch fascination. First and foremost, I don't know that I've ever really done a garter stitch project. I mean, maybe I have in their somewhere before (who knows), but when I learned to knit, it was a hat and then I made a bunch of hats. I think they were stockinette though, so I learned to knit and purl at the same time. I know there are many out there that only learned the KNIT stitch first.

Anyway, a friend is due with twins in December. I thought I'd get started early since she will find out the sex of the babies, but it's still too soon. I want to make little sweaters, am planning on BSJs or Kimonos or something along those lines. But to hold me over until knowing if boys or girls are coming, I've opted for the EASY Mason-Dixon Baby Bib o'Love. This was a great small, quick fun project. I've made 2 already and have plans to do a few more.

These are straight up garter stitch for 40ish stitches and roughly 6-7 inches. Piece of cake. I still need to get some buttons for them, but for mindless, simple knitting - which has a time and place these are the perfect project. So not only my desire to make baby things, but a few upheavels and stressful things in my life warranted garter stitch.

This need led me into discloths as well. Sitting in a hospital room for a few days worrying about family will bring on a strong desire for garter stitch and sweet cotton in bright and cheery colors. It was great to be able to just grab a ball and some needles and knit away in the slightly uncomfortable hospital chairs. I've finished up 4 or was it 5 dishcloths so far?! These are the easy knit on the bias, cloths that nearly everyone makes at least one point in their knitting lives. Again, easy and mindless and just what I needed for those stressful days.

I do want to mention also that while I didn't care for the tightness of cotton and how unslippery it is on the needle, I felt extreme pleasure from the softness of it. I'm just knitting away thinking how soft and springy this garter stitch is. Felt nice to knit with and my fingers weren't sore or dry from a lot of the wools I use.

This garter stitch/cotton extravaganze has been a nice change from all the intensely patterned socks I've been making. Sometimes its nice to just sit and knit and not have to worry about a pattern. I'm continuing the cotton parade with a market bag (slow going but good so far) and I'll keep making discloths and a few more bibs. I went on a little cotton spree over the weekend, so I have new colors to use as well!

I've been lax in the photo dept as well, but here is a sample of ONE!
And the colors are my fave!

Bib 1 of 2

1 comment: