Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Knitting: A new shawl in the works

I'm amongst a myriad of projects right now. As per my usual, I have several things going on at once. Usually this is quite haphazard, I just cast on something new because to be working on one thing is mind-numbing and oh look shiny....

Not this time though. While I have this multiple thing going on, it's done in a very constructive way. It has an almost linear feel to it.

Tour De Fleece - on going spinning challenge. I've spun nearly every day except maybe 2. One for sure (yesterday) which was a rest day, but I think over the weekend, there may have been a day I didn't spin, can't recall now. Anyway, no matter, I'm still committed to it and shall spin some more this evening.

Medium Wool Roving

I bought 3 bags of this roving in May at the Wooster Fiber Fest. Each bag contains a pound. I think this will be enough for a sweater. My first thought is to dye it blue, I don't know why, but that is really calling out to me. In fact, Kristin from GK2 had to place an emergency yarn order from KP, so I tagged on and ordered some dye. They have an indigo kit which I almost got, but then opted to just get a few of the different blues.

The next 2 projects, sort of go together. They are both for the July SKA challenge of fair isle socks. One is the mystery sock by Chrissy Gardiner and the 2nd is also by Chrissy from her Toe-up Sock book. As only one clue is sent weekly, I can't continuously work on sock #1. And because it's color work and I opted to use a striping Noro, I can't do 2AAT socks. I could cast on the toe of the 2nd sock since that is in the MC, but that would just waste a needle until I'm ready for it. Although it would mean I was ahead when it came time to do the 2nd sock of the pair. So sock #2 is slow going. I think I'm stalling out because my 2 yarns are pretty close and I'm not getting the great contrast like I wanted. I've made it through the first repeat and am very close to the heel and am on the fence about continuing on, or ripping back to the beginning of the color chart and switching yarns. I will wear these socks regardless of how the pattern looks because I love the colors of both yarns and who cares if it looks like hodge podge, I know they will be soft and comfortable and that is really all the matters, so I will probably forge on. However, they are a slow knit for me for some reason.

And lastly... this past Sunday I decided to get involved in yet another challenge... a shawl one. It's for the Hazel Knuts group on Rav. Using a hazelknits yarn, make a triangular shaped shawl and you have the months of July/August to do so. I received my sock yarn for the club in June and one of the colors was really not jumping at me to be socks. In fact I wasn't in LOVE with the color as I normally would be with GREEN.

I was considering doing the Knitty Annis shawl, but after glancing over the pattern, it just didn't call to me. Yet something did... the Travelling Woman.. it kept calling and yelling at me to make it. I first saw this shawl a few weeks back while taking a class. A girl named Kate was making it for Karida from Neighborhood dyeworks (I think). She needed it for a display for Knitters Connection. The color she used was absolutly STUNNING... this rich electric, turquoisey, mystic blue type of color. It was pure magic. Then a couple of the gals from GK2 knit it as well. I looked at the pattern and it seemed very straightforward and almost easy. I needed that.

I picked up that LEAF colorway and cast on for the shawl. I worked on it all day Sunday and I can't believe how much I was able to accomplish. I made it through the whole main beginning part, I don't know how many rows of stockinette. Then I was in to chart A and finished I think about 5 or 6 rows. So in a nutshell... continuing on with this shawl, I could be finished in the next week or so. It sure is fun to knit, but I'm not going to kill myself to get it done. I do have that spinning to do, too.

And the next sock clue gets released on Thursday. So see, a linear type of flow, working here and there....

LEAF was meant to be a shawl because now... I LOVE this color green!

The beginning:
Travelling Woman Shawl

Slightly blurry halfway home:
Travelling Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment