Monday, July 26, 2010

Knitting: Forging ahead

So, I've been plunging ahead on my knitting projects. Last week, I managed to FINISH a couple of things even!

First up the Travelling Woman shawlette. Had I known how much yarn this project actually took, I would have made it larger and with more repeats. I now have a decent sized ball left, still to be weighed, but I might eke out a pair of anklets, kid socks, or just save for future color work projects.

I don't have much notes on this project, except that it's quite a simple and easy lace piece. It was quick to knit and I didn't have too many problems, except a dropped stitch towards the end. All in all, not too bad.

Travelling Woman

Next I finished the first sock of the SKA Mystery Sock challenge for July. I was going to immediately cast on the 2nd sock, but I needed a little break.

Mock #1

So for the "break" I started another sock with some reclaimed yarn. The pattern is VORTEX by Chrissy Gardner. It's a heavily cabled pattern that I am really enjoying. The yarn was originally being used in the Dude Abides, however this colorway had a bit of green that matched too well with the MC green and the colorwork didn't POP as nicely as I wanted. I had a fair amount of that foot done, too, so it was hard to pull out, but.... I did it. I am happy with my choice and made a lot of progress on it this weekend (though the photo doesn't show how much more I really knit).

Van Gogh's Vortex

I'm considering casting on the 2nd sock as soon as I finish the gusset increases. I'm thinking, doing them side by side might help me to finish quicker? Or else REALLY tire of the cable pattern, we'll see.

And on Sunday while working on the Vortex, I had a couple of rough spots, so after like the 3rd one, I decided it was going in time out. I had my other yarn with me of course, so I cast on the 2nd sock for the Ska Mystery sock. I'm more than half way through the toe increases and hope to start the colorwork part of the pattern this evening.

Progress all around and... I've been really turned on by some Janel Laidman patterns. I bought her 2nd book a couple of months ago on a trip to Bargain Yarns. It's called the Enchanted Sole. The patterns are all pretty intricate... but wow oh wow are they cool. Also on the horizon is a pattern from the latest issue of Knitscene. It was some very pretty all over cable work that would be quite pretty on some of my solid yarns. BUT first... the projects at hand.

August is an "off" month for the Ska Challenges, so I'll have a bit of a break. I should be getting the Blue Moon Sock club installment within the next couple of weeks so that might be a new project for me AND I have some baby projects that need started as well as Christmas knitting. I'm starting early people, I need to space this stuff out, there never seems to be enough time!

No comments:

Post a Comment