Monday, August 2, 2010

Knitting: Baby style and sock fail...

I'll start with the fail, best to get it over with. I was chugging away on Vortex... and it was looking really great. I did all those increases for the gusset and stuff (it's toe-up) and then I started the back and forth of the standard slip stitch heel and then... wait for it....

Tried it on... holy slipper sock batman. Seriously! It fit fine up until then. The regular part of the foot fit well, a tad on the loose side, but not too bad overall. The increases for the gusset area seemed on target.... and the little heel cup was exactly in the right spot, from toe to heel, this looked great!

Then I started on that flap and NOW it's this blob of a slipper sock, way too loose and crazy looking. Well not crazy looking, it looks like a sock, but just for someone with 15 inch wide feet. I'm in a quandary now, should I rip it back and try and SAVE the sock, do I forge on and just have really biggish socks that will slip and slide around. The lazy part of me wants the latter. I just want to keep going and finish and be done with it... but in my heart, I really know that isn't the right thing. Here is what I wonder... If maybe perhaps, I started the gusset increases too soon because I have a medium-ish arch, not super tall, that maybe there are just too many stitches there. I also wondered if I shouldn't just rip back and do a different heel... and even if I do that, I will be taking out a LOT of knitting. For instance, this particular heel started at about 3 inches from the toe. The pattern said start the decreaes 4 1/2 inches from the total length. And I was thinking... that is really far, but I decided to trust the pattern. I do still trust the pattern, I just can't figure out how it was a perfect fit, to NOT being perfect at all. It's very weird.

So... took a break from that catastrophe and started the Baby Surprise Jacket with the Picnic colorway of Felici from Knit Picks. I had originally wanted this yarn for myself for socks, but it's a little TOO pastel for me, so it's great for a baby sweater which will hopefully get done quickly and given to the new addition to our family. Step-Sister Erin is scheduled for a c-sect on Fri 8/6. She's having a girl but I don't know what name they've picked yet. Since I'll be up in the area the following weekend, I'm hoping to have this sweater done. Thing is, it's one of those projects that SEEMS easy and mindless and it is mostly... but the counting... oh the counting. It's garter stitch, hence the easy part. But you really have to keep track of things like counting and such because you almost always have to do double decreases and then you have to do multiple increases. Anyway... I started it on Saturday and did some yesterday, but lo and behold it doesn't look like I have that much done at all. I'm using a US5 and am now thinking I should have used a 6 or 7. Ah well, it's all good.

And after this one, I have to make 2 more for a friend's twins and if I'm really feeling the BSJ love maybe even a 3rd for someone else. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment