Monday, August 23, 2010

Knitting: Another finished pair

I'm quite proud. I finished another pair of socks. The feeling of a finished project is always a great thing and feels pretty good (most of the time) however there is something about socks that is more unique to me. And makes me feel infinitely better. Not only did I make them... but I made TWO items. See I think that is where I get snagged a lot of times. I'm the type of person that doesn't like to repeat a pattern. Once I've made it, it's likely that I will not make it again. Enter the sock... you HAVE to make 2. Unless you are a person with one foot or leg and don't need another... that's acceptable as well. I however have 2 feet and wish them both to be dressed accordingly and matchedly (not a word?!?)

So when I actually finish 2 of the same sock and have a complete pair, I'm overjoyed and want to shout it from the rooftops. This pair I had mixed feelings on early on. I enjoyed knitting the pattern for awhile. But then I got irritated. I really hated the finished toe on the first sock, so before completing the kitchener, I let it marinate. Then I started the 2nd sock and after completing about 2 inches, I went back to the first sock and ripped out about 4 inches! Again... this is something very new to me. In my previous knitting life, I would typically fudge something and make it work. No way was I going to unravel all those lovely little stitches... I would do what I could to MAKE IT WORK.

So maybe call it improving or growing up or whatnot, but now, I actually pause and think about knitting consequences. For instance, if I just "deal" with this toe and leave it... will I like it? Will I wear these socks, or better yet, will I actually make a 2nd sock. With those thoughts in mind, I decided the best thing to do would be rip. If I ripped and remade it, I knew it would fit better and feel better and ulitimately I would have a nice pair of socks.

So I finished the NEW toe on Friday and immediately went back to Sock #2. I would have finished it Saturday night, too except I was too exhausted and for fear of making errors, I put it down and went to bed. But I picked it back up on Sunday and got that foot and toe done and kitchenered both toes by 11AM!

Then I had a photo shoot. Have some others on my camera that need downloaded as well.

Bella Coola Waves

I then wound up some yarn for the next project I had planned, Charybdis. The pattern is named after a greek sea monster. It's basically a simple pattern that starts from the Toe and spirals up the leg.

I decided something nice and soft was in order and that I REALLY should use some of my ridiculous stash and also use something I've not knit with before... so bugga it is! Something I've heard a lot about, but have never knit with. Although it's very similar to one of my fave yarns, Casbah by Handmaiden. The color is Blue Emperor Dragonfly and reminds me very much of water and whirlpools, like Charybdis.

Here's the toe.

Charybdis - Bugga in Blue Emperor Dragonfly

The goal for this one is to be finished with the pair by 8/29. Better get knitting!

1 comment:

  1. Those turned out really nicely. I think it is great they you fixed the toe. If you hadn't done that, you probably wouldn't be happy with wearing the socks (or you might not have completed the second sock).

    ReplyDelete