Saturday, August 8, 2009

SS09 Update: Class projects and YARN pRon

WOW! What a whirlwind it's been. From my long flight here, to all that has happened... this post could go on for days... but I'm kinda tired for a change and just feel like treating you to the good stuff. I will honestly try to blog ALL the details about the trip later. There has been so much and I keep going GUSH in my head. I need to write and get it out. Words CAN NOT do it justice though.

Ok, I'm going to stop or I'll get all gushy again. This has been one incredible experience! And to think, I ALMOST changed my mind about coming! Good grief, thank goodness I didn't let those voices get to me.

Ok, onwards.

Today was my Traditional Cast-On Class with Nancy Bush as the instructor. It was really wonderful. I learned 2 REALLY great cast ons and the 3rd, I actually already knew (thanks to Mystery Sock Queen Michelle from Temptations). Not only was Nancy the most fabulous, but I was fortunate enough to sit next to Mary-Heather and Jess of RAVELRY! And of course they are super nice and adorable--more so in person, seriously!

So, it was a fun class and here's what I made.

2 Cast Ons

What you see above (top half/2-color) is the first cast on we did, and the name escapes me right now and am too lazy to get up and look (sorry). It was a bit tricky to get the hang of, but it's so freaking awesome and cute! It's also very durable and still has some stretch. The braid effect is just so cool.

Below that is what she called a "Double Cast On" (I think). And it basically uses continental long tail cast on. You basically set the yarn on your thumb differently for every other stitch. It gives a pretty edge. It almost has a picot look to it, but not exactly. And... Super easy and quick to do! There's also a variation that she showed us where you double the yarn and it really plumps the edging up. I don't have an example here, though. So that was my class today.

After class was over, Nancy very sweetly signed my book, Knitted Lace of Estonia. Then I booked off to the Ballroom for the Guiness World Record attempt. They were hoping to have around 1600 knitters present. I'm not sure if they were able to get that many, but there were alot, it had to be somewhat close because it looked as if most seats were filled. Anyway, we had to knit for 15 minutes. The last record set was around 250 people, so we definitely CRUSHED the australians that set it. Hopefully all the ppwk and "stuff" gets posted proper and we actually get the record. Not sure how long the whole process takes. Anyway it was cool to be part of it. That's my 15 minutes of fame! :)

So my friends you all know how much I love to buy yarn... and I would not disappoint you in the slightest... so

Sock Summit Yarns

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time!! I can't wait to fondle all the yummy yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How awesome! Can't wait to feel all that yummy yarn! And hear about everything else!

    ReplyDelete