Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Knitting: to knit a gift or not

I've been thinking a lot about this lately... knitting gifts for those that knit.

There seems to be a larger percentage of knitters out there that don't knit gifts for other knitters. "They can just make it themselves" they say. And while this is a true statement, some of use don't really want to make certain things.

For instance I hate making scarves. REALLY hate them. I LOVE them, but don't want to make them. I get too bored. So a few years ago, I was in need of a scarf and my friend Audra was in need of a xmas gift for her mom. We swapped, she make me a lovely long WARM luscious scarf and I made a Pieced Pointsetta quilt type wall hanging. We each did something we were good at and exchanged.

So take this year for instance... there are things I've been toying with making for people because I think they might like them. They are from the heart and made by my own two hands. I think it would be great to get a knitted gift from someone because I DO knit and I would KNOW what went into that. The time and sincerity that goes with something hand made, to me, that's just nice.

Of course with all things, I always wait until the last minute and who knows what and when I'll get anything done. And if I start stuff now, it might be done by people's birthdays. LOL.

So here's the list of yet to be made for Christmas. I think in 2010, I will start the list in January. Maybe do a project a month and keep on target.

1. Finish sweater vest for dad (back is done, just need a front)
2. Finish 1 slipper for Sarah (1 is done)
3. Finish 1 slipper for Mom (1 is done)
4. Mittens for the boys (this is a maybe)
5. Something for Addison, maybe a little hat/mitten set
6. Hat for Brian
7. Hat for Scot
8. Hat for a friend
9. Hat for a friend
10. Slippers for a friend
11. Something for my boss (am thinking a felted bowl)
12. Aunt Lisa's purple Hedgie (needs stuffed, felted, sewed)

And I guess that is it. That is a lot to do in 23 days. Good thing most of those items will only take me 5-8 hours.

good grief, I am a little nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment