Monday, December 21, 2009

Knitting : The sound and fury

So, not really sound... kind of silent really. And who likes William Faulkner (not I)! Anyway... this weekend I did several KNIT type of things.

Thursday was knit knite... where I had some issues with what I was working on, so I stalled out and didn't have another project handy so I just chatted, laughed, etc. Enjoyable time as always.

Next up... Friday, I spent the early hours fixing the Thursday mistake which was slipper #1 or was it 2? Anyway, I ended up making slipper #2, as well. Then I decided it would be a good time for felting, so Friday evening, I felted the slippers and Entrelac gift bag. The bag only took about 5 minutes or so and looks quite snazzy (see below).

Felted Entrelac Bag

The slippers however, took FOREVER! I'm not crazy about the shape of them either and they didn't felt down to the correct size. So i'm not sure about them.

After all this knitting and felting, I decided, darn it, I'm going to WARP that loom!!! It was kind of a killer process. My back was certainly sore after doing it. Here's why, it's a lot of reaching and bending and such for the small space I'm working in. I think the next warp will be done in the kitchen. Anyway, I decided to start simple and grabbed a skein of Kureyon Sock yarn. I think I did 30 or 40 (can't recall now). Then I rolled it up and used old christmas paper because it was sitting there on the table and was really convenient. Next I wrapped the shuttle and then I started the weaving.

Enter in a few problems. Not sure if I rolled the right way because I was having some tension difficulties. The reed kept popping off in the low spot and a few times in the HIGH spot. So all in all a little frustrating. At some point, I became unravelled a bit, well, not me, but the weave and SO, I had to cut it short. So my "Scarflette" is only about 2 feet long and has about 7 inches of fringe on each side. It looks really nice and the Noro colors are stunning of course. So for the first try, I'm pretty happy with what I have. I have some of the warp left, so I might try and do something with it, maybe make a table runner or something. I don't think I have enough for a full on scarf.

Here are a few pics of the process:
Warping with Noro KureyonWeavingWeaving Close up

So that took me late into Friday evening/Saturday Morning.

Then ON Saturday, I did a bit more Shopping. Met up with Scot for 5 Guys burgers, then home. Back out to meet up with Scot & Joe at Mac's for apps and pints. Had a ton of fun.

Sunday, met up with Cath and Jimmy at Panera for breakfast and knitting. Then we headed to the Merc and I FINALLY got yarn for the White Witch Mitts (rav link) that I have been DYING to make ever since I saw the pattern... which was like 2-3 years ago! So I bought that yarn and am really excited to start those, but I am holding off until I finish ONE more hat!

So a whirlwind weekend it was. Didn't get as much knitting done as I wanted, but, I did get some stuff done, so that is what counts. I still need to wrap a lot of presents and get my car packed up, so I can get on the road hopefully Wednesday.

I'm heading north to see my family. Will stay at Dad's for the evenings, however Christmas dinner will be at Joy's this year. So excited to see everyone!

2 comments:

  1. The White Witch Mitts look nice -- can't wait to see yours! Oh hey btw, I'm on Goodreads now :-)

    ReplyDelete