Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Book Review: Joy of Sox

A few weeks ago, I happened upon this book at Cath's house. I think I might have seen it online, but didn't pay attention to it. Anyway, after a quick perusal (is that a word?)... I thought it would be a good purchase.

So, with the book sale at KP, I decided to get it last week. I REALLY like a lot of the patterns in it. And there are tons of tips and of course different techniques, dpns, 2 circs, magic loop etc.

Another great thing about this book is; it's not just one persons design, it's a collection of different designers. So, you get a really great variety and many styles of patterns. Lace, cable, colorwork, thigh-his (REALLY!) and knee socks, anklets, even a pair of pedi socks. There are great photos, showing many angles of the socks, etc.

Now, I have not yet knit anything from the book, so I don't know how the patterns are written. Although, they do give both written and charted instructions. They also feature different toes and heels as well as doing toe up and cuff down depending on the pattern. Did I mention the tips??? Well yes, there are a ton, from different designers, knitters and fiber junkies. There are also a bunch of percentages, like X% of sock knitters do xxxx. Type of thing, so it's a fun read as well.

For me, the BIGGEST drawback to this book is some of the photos. I think they are meant to be sexy or intimate photos and many are of a man and woman. The woman is wearing the socks and the man is bare foot. Well there is nothing I like less than a freakin' bare foot....ewww!!! So it's really a distraction and a bit annoying. But so far that is the biggest drawback for me. One thing to mention though; he isn't in EVERY photo, but many.

All in all, if you like socks and books, I totally recommend the Joy of Sox.

ETA: oh and one more thing... it's a hard cove, but spiral bound book. LOVE that!!! So much easier to knit and fold and work from!

No comments:

Post a Comment