Monday, February 22, 2010

Knitting: Back to Camp

I have been away again at the annual Knit Cam0, held at the lovely Camp Kon-O-Kwee. Sister Sarah and I shared a room with another lady named Linda (she was a newbie this year). As this has become an annual trip, I leave a day before and we shop till we drop. This year was no different.

Left on Thursday and arrived around 1:30 PM. Met up at Eat 'n Park, had some lunch and Sarah drove from there. We headed into town (east side) and hit up Knit One first. Now before I get into the yarny story, let me tell ya 'bout the snow and the parking. Knit One is located in an artsy district similar to Short North for you Columbus folks. However unlike our very FLAT high street it is on a hill, narrow street with parking on both sides and only one lane of traffic each way and NO turning lanes (unlike our High St.). Moving on to the SNOW.... Pburgh received about 2-3 feet more than we did a coupla weeks ago. Consequently, the normal street parking was not really available on the main drag. There were a few people that slightly dug out a few spots in front of their houses, but the shops didn't do that. So there was another big hill that we went up and then came back down. Found a dug out spot that was unoccupied, sorta kind dug out that is. Sarah backed into it, backing UP HILL and then tried to correct and got herself a little stuck.

She promised NOT to run me over, so I got in front of the car (PS, was in the front seat, had to crawl to the back seat to exit the driver side) and I pushed, she backed, I slipped and down to my knees in the wet slushy snow I went. Was ok, not hurt too bad, no biggie but wet jeans (ew) and hit the bad knee - small bruise.

Finally made it to shop, looked around a bit and I ended up with Koigu a lovely color that LOOKS like Starry Night (to me). I also found a lovely yarn by Shaefer Co which is the color I have coveted for YEARS. It's called Gertrude Ederle. It's fabulous shades of purple, blue, grean and dark pink. I LOVE it... and so happy I found. It's a merino/silk blend fingering weight, so not sure if it will be socks, gloves or some other fabulousness.

Oh and I grabbed a few skeins of a novelty type yarn to make a scarf for Joy. She pointed one out to me a couple of weeks ago in Toledo, but I can't find that yarn, so I think this one will do.
Here is the yarn (wrong color) and the scarf (color she wants)

Scarf Yarn - JoyScarf idea for Joy

After that purchase, for which I received 10% from the kind owner, even though I forgot my coupon, we headed to Natural Stitches. LOVE this place. They have such a huge selection of fabulous yarn and a bunch was on sale!

I bought a lot, including the newer wire sock blockers. I picked up a hand dyed sock blank, some Pagewood Farms Denali in a pretty impressionist style color way, I think it's called Lavender fields. I picked up a skein of this brand last year and LOVE it... so I added more. They had the Arucania on sale 40% off, picked up 2 skeins, one green and one pink. And then in the super bargain sale, a cotton/nylon blend of fingering weight for $3/skein, bought 2 for future socks. I think that was all... but Sarah and I combo'd our order because if you hit a $100 you get a nice canvas bag... and you all know how I love bags... so now I have another bag...yay! And I also have some customer rewards points, so I get 10% off my next purchase and it expires in May, so now I have an excuse to go back. LOL.

After that we hit up Trader Joe's because it's in the same plaza for camp snacks and goodies. While there I noticed they had a selection of hand made enchiladas, that I'm hoping our local stores carry. Really want to try.

Then to dinner and back to Sarah's. Finally got a little bit of knitting time in and then to bed. Next morning, we headed to Sewickley, PA for Yarns Unlimited. Picked up a couple of skeins (can't remember now), Audra gave me her coupon because she wasn't buying anything so I received 10% there, too. WOOT!

Finally we were headed towards Camp.... that's all I have time for now, so details and photos to come. Hopefully later today or tomorrow if I'm ambitious!

No comments:

Post a Comment