Monday, April 12, 2010

Knitting: Staying on top of 'things'

photo.jpg

I'm starting with this photo because, A. I love spider plants and B. this one is looking great! Cath gave me a few little starter spiderettes way back last year sometime. I potted them and recently a month or 2 back added a few more from my mom's plant (the darker green). So now with the 2 of them together, this plant is just flourishing and I love it. It's a little bit of happy on my work desk!

This past weekend, much time was spent knitting and much time was spent organizing.

After work on Friday, I did some errands, went home and had a nice nap. Got around and headed west to Hilliard to meet up with Cath for dinner at Joey Changs. While my meal was okay, I didn't love it. I branched out and tried something different and while it wasn't BAD really, it just wasn't what I really expected and therefore didn't like as much. It was edible, but on the blah side. I think I would try the place again and get something that I typically get at other places to give it a true test. Cath had the Pad Thai which she enjoyed.

After dinner, we headed back to her place to do some knitting. I got quite a bit done, until I ran into a snafu with one project, so I picked up another... and then, well I cast on for a new sock because I needed something that didn't require paying attention. She also assisted me with measurement taking and now I feel quite able to try my hand at just casting on any ol' sweater and making mods so that it will fit ME. More to come on that, I do have a project in mind... but other things need to be done first. I'm talking to you Vivian!

And you to Every Way Wrap.

Anyway, we also watched some True Blood (season 1 - Cath is catching up) and the latest episode of Merlin (on syfy - LOVE it).

Saturday morning we had breakfast at First Watch. I had a great meal, eggs and a waffle - yum all the way around. Cath had some amazing french toast and fruit, it was very pretty.

Next I met up with Audra and we did some knitting and chatting. We moved on from coffee shop knitting to lunch at Baja Sol (Lennox area). While I did not enjoy my meal, cheese enchiladas... very bland and lots of spice, like pepper, but no actual flavor (weird I know). But the chips were good and I made my own salsa concoction. I will go back and try the tacos, they sounded good and I probably should have ordered them, but I love cheese enchiladas, so I had to try. Obvious mistake.

We did quite a bit of chatting on FB, old friends, crazy friends and family and everything else. We also discuss that we are both in a similar state with our CLUTTER. We want to get rid of things and organized, so we discussed starting a plan, some sort of tracking worksheet to map out what we need to do. We want to share with each other and hopefully motivate each other to finish our projects. Hopefully we can come up with something. Maybe we need to have an incentive, like one person buys/gives the other person something like a reward. Who knows, sometimes friendly competition spurns motivation? It could work.

Then I went home. I had the urge to WORK on things. I had boxes in hand and I cleared the book shelf in the computer room. Brian helped and carried the boxes to the basement. I threw some stuff away. Then I got the sneezies and was pooped anyway, so I took some allergy meds and relaxed with some knitting.

Sunday, I woke up much too early. Met up with Cath downtown because I forgot my shoes and she was in the area. Then I popped out to Easton. Brian had an appt at the Apple store, his phone was coming apart at the seams... and drum roll please... THEY FREAKING REPLACED IT!!!! I have had so many problems with Apple Care over the past 2 years, I cannot even tell you. So much so that we had to BUY him a replacement phone awhile back because they wouldn't honor anything... so now they replace the phone. Well, I'm glad and was shocked and glad. Then he went and bought a HOPEFULLY better case so his phone will last longer. It has little covers for all the "open" spots. We are hoping this will prevent so much dirt and dust from getting in.

While he was doing that, I popped into the container store. OMG, I could be in there for days figuring out ways to organize things and spend money!!! I did buy a few little basket type things to help organize my pantry. So often, I don't know what I have because things get shoved to the back. This basket has a handle sort of like a pitcher, so you can just pull it out. Handy, I think. We'll have to see if practical or not. Next I travelled over to the trash can area. I knew they were expensive going in, so I had an open mind.

Brian caught up to me, so I showed him the cans. There was one I really liked that was on sale. There was another I liked even more, but it was $50 more and NOT on sale! Anyway, we walked out with hopefully a new DOGGIE PROOF, slightly pretty trash can. This one will sit flush against the wall, it has a removable liner and an air vent is stainless steel and has a foot pedal with a slow close mechanism and a little switch you can flip to keep the lid open. Basically everything I wanted in a trash can. If it was a little bit taller, I'd be even happier, but that's all. Oh cheaper would have been nice as well, but it's done. And I shouldn't have to buy another one in a very long time!

When we got back home, I started in on my room. I had to make space for the bookshelf to come in. While doing this, I realize the yarn tower, might have a better location on another wall. I measured it's depth and the depth of the space I wanted to put it. It was perfect and I even had a couple of inches to spare! So I slowly moved that over to the other wall. And re-orged some of the yarn while I was at it. Then I got the bookcase in, went through magazines and put them in order. Pulled out pattern sheets and pamphlets and put them somewhere else. Started stacking the knitting books on the shelf. And then I had other areas to clean up and get laundry started. SO I did not finish the bookshelf, but most of the books are on it although they will need to be sorted into the appropriate areas. But it's a start and because of this switch, I have much more usable floor space in my room, therefore making that area look very clean! YAY!

Since I started the post with a pic, I'll end with one 2. This is a not so great iphone shot of the yarn tower. FYI, each section contains 7 wire baskets. And they are probably 2 feet deep from front to back, so in a nut shell... a LOT of yarn here. There is some roving, too. Oh and guess what.... this isn't the entire stash! Oh yes folks, I have a lot of purging to do... be ready for a sale sometime in the near future!

Yarn Tower

3 comments:

  1. Lots of re-organizing going on I see! Hey, is Joey Chang's the restaurant at Mill Run that replaced Lai Lai?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for you! Organizing is so liberating for me. I dread it but it is awesome when I get into it. Yarn tower... So jealous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete