Thursday, December 25, 2008

Knitting: The Holidays

First, I'd like to say Merry Christmas Friends! I hope everyone is doing well and having a nice holiday season. For me it's been a little up and downish. And I say that because I mostly mean frustrating. But you know, life is like that most of the time.

this is probably going to sound like I'm whining... and that's not my intent... but it is how I feel, so here goes.

My largest disappointment of the Christmas season is A. not having my gram around and B. that my family celebrates together very early. I miss the days of celebrating christmas ON christmas. That was when Gram was alive and oddly enough she passed the same year Joy and John got married and I think that next year or around then was when they started heading to California for the holidays because his parents moved then too. So ever since, for like 10 years now, they've enjoyed the holidays in the warmish sun of Central California. Now of course I don't begrudge them this family time. I think it's wonderful that John's family can all get together and be together. Especially since his dad's birthday was the day after Christmas. So they got to celebrate doubly. It's nice. But it is disappointing that we usually get together about 2 ish weeks before christmas... except this year, our christmas was on the first weekend of December, the week after thanksgiving! That was just weird. I wasn't even in the Christmas mood yet. And since John lost his mother last year and his dad this past February, they've moved their family celebration to NYC/New Jersey area.

So, ever since December 3rd (?), I've felt like Christmas was over. I hadn't finished a bunch of stuff I had wanted to knit for folks (that's ok, I set unreasonable deadlines and start too many things... this we know). I didn't stress about it. They are all projects that will be finished sometime, some day. Anyway, Christmas with the in-laws was last night. And while I was dreading it, a little bit (ok a lot), it really wasn't too bad. I took my knitting. We watched Kung Fu Panda, we ate (sort of) and then exchanged gifts.

I'm definitely glad I had the knitting! I would have been so bored without it. Plus it helped keep me calm and relaxed and probably less annoyed over all. Knitting is GOOD! When we came home Brian gave me a gift, he'd been dying for me to open, it was the WII Fit, so we played with that a bit. It's fun. I like the skiing game, but I don't like the ski jump! I sucked big time at that. I also tried the yoga and it said I had an excellent center of balance! I got 3 out of 4 stars. So there are only like 4 or 5 yoga poses that are unlocked, but after you build up points, I guess you unlock more stuff. So I guess I'll have to do more exercise and open more games. Plus hopefully this will get me back into yoga! I love it and I love how I feel when I finish it, but darnit am I the laziest person ever!?!

I worked on my Cable sweater from the Winter 2008 issue of Verena. I love it so far. I think I've done about 5-6 inches. I should be further along, however, I tinked back about 10 or 15 rows yesterday. I realized I did line 17 (cable row) too early, like on line 13 or 14... and when I realized it I was on row 26, maybe. So yeah, tink, tink, tink. But it's ok. I wasn't sad or angry, I just ripped away. I considered leaving it and just correcting the rest of the way, but I thought later on the spacing would be too noticeable. So I made up those rows and then some. I plan to do more today. My goal is to finish the back by tomorrow. What an accomplishment that would be!

This all depends on our agenda today. We talked about going to a movie, The Spirit. It opens today. And while I really want to go... at the same time, I'm thinking wouldn't it be nice to stay in all day and do nothing but knit?! Yes, yes it would!

I also made breakfast. I planned on doing it at a more brunchy time, but I was STARVED! See for dinner last night, we had spaghetti. Only my father in law thought it would be brilliant to use HOT SPICY ITALIAN sausage in the sauce. Holy crap... was it ever HOT! I seriously took like 5 bites and didn't eat anymore. I felt bad and I thanked him for making dinner, but I just couldn't eat it. He offered to make something else, but I told him to sit and relax and enjoy his meal, I would eat more bread. So I got another piece and while that was sufficient for then, I was STARVING by the time we got home. And with little motivation, I didn't want to cook food. So I drank a yogurt smoothie which was good, but like I said, this morning... STARVING! So I made sausage gravy and biscuits. It was quite yummy and filling and now I am content. Well if I'm going to get that remaining 20 odd inches done, I better get to it.

Peace, Love and Happiness to everyone and your families!

2 comments:

  1. You are not whining! I know that feeling too -- ever since my older brother died and my younger brother got married, xmas has never been the same. I guess that's what happens when we all grow up and get married. Hang in there and keep knitting! Merry Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean with Christmas being kind of sad. It's not the same with my mom's family since my Grandpa died.

    Did you see the Spirit?
    Yeah, you unlock all kinds of things in Wii Fit. My favorites are advanced step and boxing!

    ReplyDelete