Thursday, February 5, 2009

Knitting: Opulent Raglan, an update.

Opulent Raglan

I should have added this pic to the last post because I really have nothing more to say. I'm in the motivated vein to be working on this project so I brought it to work with me today for lunchtime knitting. It's still in it's infant stages so I don't have to LUG a lot around. Hopefully I'll get a row or some done while at lunch.

Speaking of rows... I've noticed a couple of spots of rowing out... weird thing is, it's not the WHOLE row... it's only a little part, like right in the middle... weird. I'll have to pay a big more attention. I don't usually have the problem, of course it's been awhile since I've done stockinette NOT in the round. I've noticed my knit guage has gotten a little tighter. I think it's from too much sock knitting on US1 with smaller weight yarn. I did so many worsted wt project for so long I became very consistent. I guess that is a good reason to keep multiple things going all the time, get your hands trained for the big and all the little stuff.

Speaking of big (ok, apparently I did have more to say, just not on the OpRag), I was reading through 2 of my Aran sweater books that were aquired recently. I REALLY love the one... and oddly enough I thought I would like the OTHER one better, but no matter. Anyway, it gives great description on HOW to design your own pattern and how to use the stitch panels, etc. Information I kind of know already, but it was still nice to read anyway and I LOVE some of the stitches in this book.

I don't however "care" for the construction/finished piecing of the sweaters in the book, perhaps I need to reread that part... but in any case, I was thinking of going back to Barbara walker's design construction for the top down... but I have plenty to work on right now... but the wheels they are turning. I would like a big bulky aran sweater, it's one of those things I've always wanted.

And for some time, I've really wanted to make a sweater for my dad and I can't remember how to spell the STYLE but I know it sounds like Coweechin. It's one of those sweaters, typically done in natural spun aran or bulky yarn and they typically have an animal on them. Anyway if you know what I'm talking about, please remind me of the spelling and if you don't know, I promise to look for it this weekend and post about it again. Anyway, so yeah,I want to make one of those for my dad.

Ok... I better get some work done. The sooner the work day goes by, the sooner I get to go hang with my girls and knit! :)

2 comments:

  1. What do you mean by "rowing out". I am not sure what that issue means and I am curious to learn from you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the Cowichan sweater would be nice! Hope you make one :-)

    ReplyDelete