Sunday, February 1, 2009

Knitting: Success

So, the front is finished! YAY! I washed it and it's drying now. I decided long ago I wouldn't make the neck the same as the pattern calls for. It's a lot of bulk around the neck area and I don't do so well with that.

For this particular sweater, the directions call to seam some stitches on each side of the shoulder. Then you add the neck piece to it and seam that in the back. Then you add the sleeves to the straight sides and seam the remaining sides and sleeves. It seems kind of clunky thinking about it, but I think I've figured out a way to make a nice finish. This will definitely be a learning experience.

Here's the plan, I am going to seam the 25 stitches on each side, I'm thinking of a 3-needle join, or I could kitchener it (so I'm not totally decided yet). But then I'm going to pick up the neck stitches which, because I unintentionally thought ahead, are NOT bound off per the pattern instructions, but are still live stitches on the options cable (don't ya just love knit picks?!). So for those live neck stitches, I'm considering a reverse stockinette neck or perhaps garter stitch. Originally garter was the plan, but after talking it out, I think the reverse stockinette might look nicer. However, if I don't like it, I can always tear it back and think of something else.

I'm definitely going to pull out Barbara Walkers Knitting from the Top book to read her seaming instructions (from what I remember they are brilliant) and I'll also scan EZ's books, too. I know she discusses some different methods. All my seaming to date has been very limited and is very bad, of course most of it has been on stuff that is inconsequential... but this, this is my birthday sweater. And I'm HOPING it fits so that I can wear it ON my birthday. :)

I will probably have to wear a cami under, and I'm hoping it won't make me itch to death. I haven't had great luck with wool, but I've also not had much experience with a handmade garment made out of wool. The pieces feel quite soft, but running your hands on them is certainly different than wearing for any amount of time.

Anyway, I'm very happy that I'm nearly finished with this project. And now I can get started on the February sock project, the Entrelac socks. YAY!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see your creation. The cables are amazing with that yarn. POP!

    ReplyDelete