Thursday, March 11, 2010

Knitting: Always learning something new

So, pretty much my whole knitting life I have tried multiple ways to make socks. Toe Up, Cuff Down, 2 at a time inside of each other, 2 at a time on one circ, magic loop, dpns, etc and so on.

I have never made a Cat Bordhi sock. I know her followers are thousands... but frankly, I wasn't into it. So recently I read about her latest book coming out and how can you turn away from a book with INSOUCIENT in the title. I mean, it's a great word and for those that don't know... from Dictionary.com:
–adjective
free from concern, worry, or anxiety; carefree; nonchalant.

I feel like a nonchalant sort of person most of the time... so insoucient, I am. Anyway, the merc was offering a class with Beth (yarnaholicbeth-rav) and she is a pretty funny and interesting lady. I decided to join the class and learn a new style. Now, I could have learned this from reading the book. But there were a few points here and there that puzzled me, so talking amongst others that are doing the same thing as you is a comfort and good learning tool.

Anyway, I started the class with a lovely skein of Purple-Burgundy colored yarn, it's called Impulse by Hazel Knits, part of my sock club shipment. I wasn't LOVING the color so much as liking it a lot, but I love her yarn in general, the feel, the twist, etc... so I thought it would be good to make the discovery sock with this yarn. However, I became NOT-insoucient and concerned that I wouldn't be able to READ my sock well because it was dark in color and you really need to be able to tell where your increases are, and so on. I decided to cast on a new yarn (same weight and needles). I picked a new stash acquisition. It's a love green, with many different shades. To me it is the PERFECT GREEN.

Green being my very favorite color forever and always and this is what I think of when I think of the color green.... it's THIS yarn, yes it is.

Anyway, I've been knitting away on the "discovery" sock and I finished my pod (pic below). There are a couple of lifelines and between them, I will pick up stitches and SNIP the yarn and knit up the leg. After that piece is done, I will go back and finish off the heel. So yes, this is a very different technique and way to make a sock and so far, I kind of like it. I still have a bit to learn, like how to incorporate a patter on the foot, etc... but it's been fun to veer off the regular STANDARD c/o 64 or 72 stitches path. I definitely reccommend this style of knitting to those wanting a more PERSONAL fit to your sock. IT's not too big, not too small, it's just right.

Sock Pod

No comments:

Post a Comment