Saturday, March 20, 2010

Knitting: A day without it?

You know awhile back it was pretty rare for me to have a day that I didn't knit. I would typically knit a few stitches at least every day. And it's mostly because I do love it so much. Well around last fall some changes were made. Mostly with work and that put the knitting on the back burner a bit. I mostly saved the knitting for the weekends because I couldn't fit it into my normal day.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to get at, is the presence of knitting in my daily life. And it's a constant presence. I sort of lose myself in it sometimes. For instance today, Audra and I headed downtown to Travonna Coffee house and we did talk, but there were moments there that I just got lost in my knitting. I was in my own world and just kind of zoned out with the stitches.

And after that, I kind of just wasted the day away. It was a good waste, though. I had fun and I looked at a ton of knitting books, found a few cardigans I really love... checked out some really great yarns... and I napped.

So about that discovery sock... good grief. I'm struggling with it. At first, I picked this one pattern, it caused me to double the stitches, so I was cabling over 96 effing stitches... it sucked and I did it for rows and rows. I even bound it off and tried it on.

Today, I ripped it out. That felt good, but then I was back at the drawing board so to speak. I started over wit a new pattern from the book and I for sure don't love it but at this point I just really want to be done with these socks.

Which leads me into my next point, I really want lots of socks. I have a shit-ton of sock yarn and I really need to get it knit up. My entire stash needs revamped and organized. I'm at the point of having an overwhelming amount of yarn and haven't a clue what to do with it.

While I know I need to knit, I get so overwhelmed I kind of shut down and don't know where to go or how to start. And that is why I have all of these projects all over. And probably in another week, my next sock club shipment will arrive from Blue Moon and I'll be in love all over again with something new.

In the meantime though, I've been mostly monogamous. I've only been working on the Discovery Socks and the Cabled Mitts. The first mitt is nearly done, but I do need to make some design changes. Kinks to work out so to speak. I'm being especially critical of these because this might be the first pattern I post out for sale.

Anyway, these two projects are going well and are coming to a close. Perhaps by next week the socks will be done, just in time, too because I decided to head to Mystery Sock on Tuesday night. It's a stranded 2-color project, so I'm anxious to get that started, too. I think I might opt to do both socks at the same time, so as to get finished earlier than later and not fall to SSS (second sock syndrome).

So I just might accomplish that dream of having multiple pairs of hand knit socks to choose from this year. Now... about that sweater................

No comments:

Post a Comment