Monday, March 8, 2010

Knitting: What?!

So, I've been meaning to write for days and days... but been too lazy to do so. That being said... I felt like I had a lot to say and now sitting here typing, I can't recall a darn thing. And I have no photo updates either.

So, let the random purge begin.

I read a good book a week ago... it is still sticking with me and I can't get it out of my head. I even took the time to go back and read some of the chapters. In the end, the book is basically about a woman that ends up "finding" herself and healing old wounds when she moves to Ireland to research and write a book about KNITTING. So, not sure why it has stuck with me so much except, it was a pretty good story and had a happy ending and all that, so maybe that is what I'm looking for or yearning for? Who knows... what this book has also done is made my feelings for a fisherman gansey resurface with a vengeance.

I've done research all over the place... 2 of the most notable books (from every website I surfed) happen to be in my Library. I've been pouring over patterns and cables and ropes and moss stitches and more. There is no real "pattern" that I am using, it's kind of make it up and go.

I had planned to be a good knitter and swatch out all the pattern motifs I was planning, but then on Sunday... I grew restless and silly and c/o 264 stitches to start this sweater in the round from the bottom up. I'm using EZ's almanac instructions, but with different panels. I really liked my chosen stitches, but after doing 1 1/2 rounds, I realized one of the panels was NOT for me. So mid-round, I stopped knitting. I grabbed my 2 books, Gladys Thompson and Shelaugh H(something) and looked for another pattern with a count of 20 stitches. I couldnt' find one! Then, I pulled out a couple of BW stitch dictionaries and of course, after looking at several possible motifs, I chose one. It's a pretzel braid and will fit in nicely I think. So I finished round 2 with that stitch by dropping that section back to the edge and going forth.

Another thing I decided on was to do a provisional cast on using the crochet method. I did this for several reasons. Mainly because I am impatient, but 2ndly because I wasn't sure how these patterns would actually fit together and also because I don't know how long this will be. So, I figured I could get it where I want and after having done a significant amount of knitting, I can go back, pick up that edge and do some ribbing. My other reason, is I definitely want to do it in a size smaller needle and I have no idear where the 7 is right now.

Moving on... Details: Using Cascade Eco Wool in the natural colorway on a US8. I'm getting 3.77 stitches per inch. This sweater will def be huge, but I'm modeling it after a fave sweater of mine that is big and baggy and one that I love the fit of.

I have no idea what will happen when I get up to the chest area and I need to start thinking about sleeves and stuff. This will definitely be a practice in patience, skill and learning new things. I think I am a good knitter, but I rarely WING it to this extent, so we shall see.

In other knitting news, I'm taking a class at the merc and learning about Cat Bordhi's "new" technique of toe-up sock making. It's called Peronal Footprint. And basically you are making notes as you go, trying on as you go and making a patter of your foot, as you go along knitting. It's pretty interesting and I'm enjoying the progression so far.

I did have a bit of a set back though. As this is a learning sock and you have to be able to READ your knitting, the yarn I picked was the IMPULSE colorway from the February Hazel Knits sock club and not really a good idea for this venture. So, around Saturday, I decided to switch over to a lovely green yarn that was newly acquired. I can definitely "read" my increases much better and it didn't take me long to get back to where I was with the Impulse as well as continue on. I'm not sure of what the leg of the sock will be yet and if it will be plain or if we make something from the book, but if we can pick our "own" thing, I'm definitely planning on making some shamrocks or celtic rings on these socks... it's THAT green.

Maybe I need to take a trip to Ireland, soon!

3 comments: