Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Knitting: The discovery sock

discovery sock #1

Last night was our last session for the Personal Footprints sock class. I am not quite DONE with my socks, but later this week or by the weekend, I should be complete. And not just with one sock, but BOTH! This makes me very excited because so far in my life.... I have only completed 2 pair of socks. I have many, many single socks... but not many pair.

I had some ups and downs with the sock, more ups than downs though. I'll go with the positive.
1. It seemed to be a fast knit.
2. As described, a very 'personal' fit. I feel it was made specifically for my foot and no one elses.
3. Did I mention quick?!
4. Lots of room for designing your own pattern and personalizing the fit.
5. No short row heels
6. No back and forth heel
7. IN THE ROUND heel (afterthought)
8. Great technique for self striping or handpaints because you can eliminate much of the pooling or weird striping when the leg/heel parts come together.
9. Oh and it's QUICK!

Ok, so now the negative
1. The discovery is meant to be knit and ripped and knit and ripped until you have the perfect fit, so you might have to do this several times at different sections. For me, it's the heel, I started my heel decreases too late and consequently have to rip back a bit maybe 1 1/2 inches on each sock. Tying a good to this negative, once you have the discover sock done, and you've made your notes, you don't have to worry about knit/ripping again for future socks.
2. The book/guide says NOTHING about the leg and making the leg work or fit. It's kind of glossed over really and not specific. We spent so much time getting the fit of the FOOT right and then your leg is completely left out.
3. The round "star" toe worked up nicely, but I'm not sure if I like how it FEELS so this is still a question mark for me.

And right now, that is my first thoughts on this discovery project. I feel well equipped to make decisions on sock design as well as choosing patterns for myself to make in the future. I definitely think I will use this technique again, especially if I want to do a quick no-pattern sock with self striping yarn. Huge benefit of speed and lack of pattern might make a QUICK pair of socks.

So all in all, I left the class, glad that I had taken the time to learn this. It was fun sharing with the other ladies our trouble spots or celebrating each other's successes. As always, Beth (yarnaholicbeth - rav) is fun and informative and a wealth of tips, tricks and funny stories.

In the course of 4 weeks, I have made a pair of socks. I'm quite proud of myself, especially when I consider, I knit on other items in this four weeks and not solely on the socks.

Next up... more socks. Doing a Joy of Sox KAL with Cath soon. And I'm REALLY hoping to get started on a lightweight cardi for spring/summer. Fisherman sweater is on hold as is the Every Way Wrap (she's been hibernating and waving at me every few days).

No comments:

Post a Comment