Sunday, February 3, 2008

What's in a name anyway?

So when trying to devise a name for something, I often run up short. I try to think of clever things or something that will add interest. Something that makes people want to check it out. As I was sitting here, pondering the name of this blog, Fiber Funktastic... I was wondering if that is the right name. It's as good a name as any. I kept coming back to SOUL names, like Fiber is good for the soul type. And then I think SOUL isn't the right message, well it is because I think knitting is spiritual and soulful, but what I mean is that SOUL is misleading. It's commonly used in conjunction with music. And I'm not into SOUL music. But thinking along the musical lines I took soul into FUNK which is what inspired Funktastic.

Prince titled one of his albums, "Rave un2 the Joy Fantistic" and one of my earlier thoughts was Rave Unto the Fiber Fantastic. Cause that is how I feel.

But, back to Fiber Funk... I do like it and Audra does too, so we have group buy in. But I kind of laughed to myself because I feel like we should be called Fiber Junkies! I'm sure that is a name used elsewhere in the world, probably multiple times.

But here is where the junkie part comes in. I love yarn and fibers and material. I love textures and different feelings of different things. I love soft things (don't we all). I dislike scratchy things. Years ago I purchased this oh so soft soy yarn. I wanted to experiement. Well... half a sock later, I realized the softness was just in the skein, but not in the finished piece. I've since read, people with similar experiences, so I know it isn't just me.

Onward with the junkie vibe... I love to shop. I, like many yarn afficionados, love to buy it. I find stuff all the time! Every LYS I go to. I find a million things I like and it perpetuates a million new projects... and I want to start them ALL right now! I'm extremely impatient, too. So I get tired or frustrated easily.

Project time for me is mostly on the weekends when I sit around doing nothing but knitting. Audra on the other hand will pick up her projects basically anytime she is home during the week/weekend. My problem is when I go back to the "real" world and the work place on Monday morning... the only thing I can think about is knitting and my projects and how I just wish I was at home. We continually talk about different businesses we'd like to do. Book stores, yarn stores, craft stores, etc. And while I lay in bed at a ridiculously early hour this morning, I thought, "Why NOT?!" We could SO do this. I mean, we just need capital and to get capital you have to have a business plan. We are women and we are both of a "minority" race which could lead to our advantage to find funding. What's to stop up, but our own lack of committment?

I'm an idea person. I come up with great ideas all the time. My brain constantly runs, chugging along spilling stuff all over the place. What I do fail at though is OVER committing. I think I can do all these things and then I end up overwhelmed. I'm also forgetful and things get backburnered all the time. Hopefully, maybe we can commit to a business in the near future and make it work for us. And maybe it won't happen until we are well into our 40's. But I guess it is something we can work toward together.

So it's a perfect Sunday morning at home and what am I doing? Blogging, surfing yarn sites and project sites and pattern sites and revelry discussion boards. Good grief, I certainly know how to dig a hole.

I am putting off the inevitable and I KNOW I shouldn't go, buy I am REALLY craving a trip to Knitter's Mercantile today. I love that they are open on Sunday, most places aren't. And what will I do there? Probably buy MORE yarn that I don't need right now, or get more ideas of stuff I don't possibly have the time to work on right now.

I'm so bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment