Friday, January 8, 2010

Knitting: Finally a list

So I've been meaning to post for a couple of days, but time just escapes me. New projects at work are definitely a time suck, but also, it was REALLY hard to get back into the work groove after so many days of off/on style work with the holidays.

I have been successful at work. With these new projects, I have a plan. Hopefully one that I will get written out and it will be well execute, but the wheels are already turning and things are going well so far.

Which leads me into the year laid out before me. I've been trying to turn a corner with my knitting. Not starting so many projects, but actually finishing a few. Now, yes I have many items in hibernation on ravelry and will those get touched/finished... I really can't say. Some of them have definitely lost there lustre and may just end up going to the froggy pile, while others may still have a spot of hope.

So, for 2010, I've decided to make a special binder for all my projects. Yes I realize that we have a great tool in Ravelry, but one thing I know about myself is I like tangible things. Yes I can look online at all things, but to shop, I like to touch and feel what I am buying. SO anyway, I've created a binder for my projects. I've put copies of the patterns I want to make this year. Now, here's where best laid plans fall apart... new magazines and patterns and books will come out this year and probably tempt me. So I have to leave some room for the new stuff.

Anyway, so far this year, I've only knit on 2 items. I started a KAL with Cath of the Welig gloves. I love this pattern. I've never made gloves before and this pattern is definitely a fun one. Lots of twisted stitches and cables. And the yarn... I'm using the Handmaiden Casbah yarn. It's a dream and so soft! I can't wait to wear these gloves. I worked up through the pinkie on the first glove and then decided to make the 2nd glove before finishing all the fingers. I am hoping to be done with both or one by later today.

The 2nd project I cast on for is the Every Way Wrap. I'm going to knit camp in a month and I really want to be able to show off this project. So I have just around 4 weeks to complete it and I think this is do-able. Just concentrate and don't cast on anything else.

So this will be the year of the sweater for me. I have several sweaters/cardigans/jacket patterns in my queue. Of course if you think about it... I don't have much time because soon, summer will be upon us, so I really have to whip my knitting into shape! After the wrap, I think I will start Vivian. And I really want to knit Heroine and the Bountiful Bohus cardigan. Can I do all these before winter's end? And, will I get burnt out doing so many big projects. Yes, possibly.

So, with this predicament, I think I will try and finish a sock (from all the unfinished pairs I've started), as my in-betweens. Or just work smaller projects, like hats or mittens (gifts) for next Christmas. Hopefully this will get me on my way for gift knitting and not running crunch time like this past year. I also have squares for an afghan to make as well. So the year ahead will hopefully be a prosperous knitting year. I have a plan!

And the best part of this PLAN, I am going to destash while making these items. I bought bulky yarn awhile back for a sweater, that I wasn't crazy about after I started. So, I can use that yarn for Vivian. For Heroine, I will most likely have to invest in yarn because it's a felted piece that requires a LOT of yarn. And the Bountiful Bohus will require a new yarn purchase as well... however, for all my small projects, I have plenty of yarn. I also want to do an inventory and find projects for all my single skeins or smaller amounts of yarn.

So that is how I am starting the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment