Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Spinning: The wonky wheel

So I haven't done much spinning lately... or ever really. Last time I had the wheel out was late last spring/early summer. I remember because it was a lovely warm day and I took the fiber and wheel outside on the deck and spun some lovely Corriedale top roving. This has become my favorite fiber so far. Granted, I have a limited scope.

I attended 2 fiber fests in 2009, the Great Lakes show in May and then the one at Young's Dairy around September/October (maybe)??? Anyway at both I purchased some roving and it's sat in it's little area of my home in various balls or bags of fluff.

I haven't done much spinning because my wheel was a little broke. The connector between the treadle and arm (this is what makes the wheel spin) had broken. We rigged it up so it would work but that resulted in uneven treadling. So it was more bother and frustration than I could handle. Problem #2 was my tension. When I receiving the gently used wheel the tension spring was quite stretched. It was ok though and still worked. Problem was, I could never get really good tension for my spinning. It either was too fast or too slow. I couldn't get it JUST RIGHT.

Just before Christmas, B and I headed down to Nelsonville for boots at Rocky Boots. We also stopped by a LYS. The owner sold ashford wheels, looms and carders as well as had various supplies. I bought the "repair" kit for the wheel, but left it in the bag until I was ready to spin again.

Enter last Sunday. I was invited to a spinning party. I got the wheel out, fixed the connector thingy and READ how to use 2 springs instead of 1 for the tensioning. It was a lifesaver. It has made such a difference, I can't hardly believe it! I also oiled the wheel and put a new drive band on. She's all fixed up and ready to go.

So I went to Stephanie's house which isn't far from mine (cool). And set off to spinning. I recently purchased this super cute BFL Top roving from Miss Babs. It's hand dyed... and I just love the shades of reds and pinks. Received several compliments on the roving and everyone asked where I got it. I happily talked up Miss Babs because she is such a sweet person. I met her back at Sock Summit and she was so helpful and kind and just a great business person. She is also a super fast shipper! I like her sock yarn and colors are fantastic. I did purchase roving at SS, too, but I've misplaced it in my house somewhere.


Anyway, I snagged a photo from her site, so you can see the colorway. By the way, it's called GLEE, which I think is very suitable because it makes me happy to look at it. I initially purchased just one 4oz portion, but decided I might want more. It was in the sale bin and there were 3 left, so I went and purchased the last of it! I don't know if she'll make this color again, but now I have 16oz which should make me something nice (I hope).

But as far as the spinning is going... it's good! I'm excited! There have been a couple of oopsies or thick spots, but... I'm learning and I am fairly consistant, so that is good as well. Last night I worked on this roving again and I think I'm nearly half way through, maybe 1/3 of the first hank I purchased. But I'm hoping to continue this week and into the weekend and maybe have a finished bit of yarn by next week. Of course this means, I have pushed the Every Way Wrap off to the side... and I really need to work on it! The spinning is definitely a nice break/addiction though.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time on Sat! Can't wait to see the yarn you've made! ;) How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with the wheel fixing! That roving is gorgeous...it's making me want to spin...dangit Kristie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't wait to see what it looks like as yarn -- it's pretty as roving!

    ReplyDelete