Thursday, January 14, 2010

Knitting: The very long wrap

So lately, I'm wondering what I have gotten myself into. I've wanted to make the every way wrap for quite sometime. Well, I started it as my 2nd project of 2010. I'm trying to be as monogamous as I can, so that I may actually get some finished goods out of this year. Anyway, as most know, I hate ribbing. So this project starts with 5 inches of 2x2 Rib. BUT... somewhere in 2009, I realized RIBBING although tedious and annoying does have a purpose and to skip it, means you are lessening your garment. So, I have RIBBED. And, what I did decide is that I really love 1x1 Twisted Rib, ala Cookie A. I've come to love that for sock ribbing. And what is funny about that, is most typical patterns require about an inch of it, I've been going PAST an inch... so I've come to enjoy it more.

However, still not a fan of 2x2 Rib. But I did it for the wrap, however I went to just shy of 4 inches instead of the full 5. I can't recall the size I chose to knit, but it's the next to last one. It's a c/o of 126 stitches. Around half of those stitches become odd, but lovely cables. I'm saying odd because they combine K2 and P2 within a cable, something I'm not sure if I've really done before. All the cables are 4 stitch which makes cabling without a needle a bit faster. However some of them, I still have to pop off the stitches and rearrange a bit. Anyway, they are like slip 2 to front P2, K2 from cable needle. Anyway, the end result looks nice and I like it, it's just different/odd.

Now the other half is MOSS stitch... another "stitch" I dislike. It's not hard, but I find it a nuisance, it's all K1P1 and P1K1, over and over and over again, row after row. But... I like the wrap, so I'm doing it. It's a bit tedious and monotonous and it's almost mindless... so it is definitely a relaxing knit. One where I can watch TV while knitting and still pay attention to both the TV and the knitting without mistakes.

So I've made it to row 18 and it is at this point that I need to repeat rows 3-18 another 16 times to get the full length of the wrap. I'm thinking... OMG!! Can I actually do this?! I'm still trying. I still want this wrap and I can only think it really will get faster, won't it? If I keep working on it, little by little it will be done, no?! I'm hoping so. My goal was to have done by knit camp which I leave for on 2/18. However, Ravelympics are starting on 2/12 and since I have a project potentially picked out for it, then I need to be done with the wrap by 2/12. So at this point, I have 29 days.

I'm using Cascade Eco+ Wool in a nice navy blue. I really like cascade yarns and can't wait to give this a nice wash in Kookaburra. It will smell and feel great. I just need to keep plugging away and it will be done.

I promise to post a photo soon. I've been slacking in that department, but it does look nice so far. I just wish it was moving faster. This project is definitely something that is helping me build patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment