Thursday, January 29, 2009

Knitting: It's all about the technique

So, I don't know if this was really a resolution of mine for 2009 (rhymer!), but I wanted to make some headway with techniques... and I do vaguely recall a post mentioning learning cast ons or something or other. Anyway... long story short (too late!), I did learn a new cast on the other day.

I meant to write about it then but was just too busy (i.e. shoveling the damn drive 4700 times cause it keeps snowing). So I want to make these socks


They are by the fabulous Eunny Jang and were also featured in Interweave, that photo is a copyright by them and the link goes to the page where you can purchase the PDF if you want it. Anyway, I happen to have that issue of IK, Spring 2007 and in it there is a little HOW TO on Entrelac (which I've already done), but it was an informative read, none the less.

So back to the cast on info... Eunny used what she called the Middle East Wrap Cast On. And when I decided to play, I only had the iphone on me, so YOUTUBE was easily accessed and the only video I could find that looked LIKE the pictures was called the Eastern Cast On. In it, the gal was using 2 yarns to cast on because she was using it for double knitting. Well I only needed one strand obviously, but at least watching her, I understood what needed to be done. I tried and tried going from the written direction, but it wasn't working for me. Anyway, after the video, it still took me about 4 times to GET IT RIGHT. The yarn ends kept slipping off. Anyway, it's a little awkward to hold, but once you GET IT, it's definitely an effective cast on. It is similar to the magic loop toe up type cast ons, but I have to say, having done those and this one, I think I'm liking this one more. I really like the look of the finished toe. It's seamless and "cute."

After finishing this new toe... I decided to play with the entrelac pattern a little, too... and wholly crap (yes that spelling was intentional), I LOVE it even more now that I can knit backwards... can I get an amen! It's sooo awesome and fun and you don't have to TURN, not that turning is bad, but it's just so cool that you don't have to. So yes, my knit geek came full out and I've been excited ever since. I can't wait to make these socks!

Must finish Schooner Sock #2 FAST!!! Of course, now it's total drudgery since it's just stockinette and the Entrelac bug is calling out to me very loudly! But I do want A finished pair of socks and that will be my quickest to get done. Oh and as an aside for the Entrelac socks... I do not now, nor have I ever worn knee socks (ok, maybe once in kindergarten), so mine will be normal sock size, not knee socks. Don't get me wrong knee socks are cute on some and work with other peoples legs, but not mine. I don't like the bindedness feel on my leg... drives me bananas... and the rubbing behind the knew... forget it. But in any case, I'm really looking forward to these socks.

Below is the yarn I'm using for the socks. I love the 2 together and have been wanting them for a 2 color project, but didn't know what... now I have the perfect one. The blue is called Caribean Blue and the other is called Terra Cotta. Oh and I got it at Temptations and it was 40% off... SCORE!

Louet Gems

1 comment:

  1. Ohh I can't wait to see those socks. I love Gems. Very yummy yarn.

    ReplyDelete