Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Knitting: Mystery Socks

So, I've been going to Temptations at least once a month for the past few months to attend the Mystery Sock "class". Not really a class, but sort of. One you don't have to pay for, so BONUS on that part. Anyway, it's a fun group. You go and learn new techniques, sometimes or just a new way to do an old thing. There are 2 socks that I have done really well with, the first was called Fade Away and the 2nd is called Friendship sock. Both are color strand work which is why I think I've done well at finishing them. Well, the first sock anyway. Still need to do the 2nd to fade away and I need to finish the rest of the friendship one. Which I hope to do this week.

Now typically I've noticed, smaller weight yarn, dk/fingering socks on zero and 1 size needles do take FOREVER for me to finish, it's just round and round of monotony sort of. But with the color work for some reason, I fly on those?! I haven't quite figured on the gyst of it because you'd think it would slow me down, being there are 2 pieces of yarn, etc. And most people do go slower because they don't knit 2 handed. Luckily I've kind of taught myself to either carry 2 colors in my left as I knit or what has become even quicker for me is to knit with both hands. Main color on my left and Contrast on my right. I am in fact a continental knitter which makes this "easier" I think. For some reason out of most people I've spoken with. Those that have learned the English/Throwing way to knit, have much more difficulty then switching to continental. Again, I don't know this first hand, but this is what I've heard.

Which also brings me around to... knitting backwards... i've heard of this and I know people do it, but I've never seen it. So I am quite curious on that and am wondering if this is a technique I might be able to get ahold of and master. Anyway, that is definitely another thing to look into this year.

But as a progress report on my FINISHING of things this year I have finished one thing so far, Brian's sock, the 1st of the pair. And hoping this friendship sock, the first of its' pair will be done around this weekend (am hoping). And the sleeves for the BIG green cable sweater are coming along. I made good progress on them last week. So yes... we are starting off on the RIGHT foot. And I've been good and haven't casted on much. Except socks. I'm hot on the socks trail right now. I want to finish a pair!!! Really, really I do.

So here's the friendship sock... and if I haven't explained already, it's called a friendship sock because we were to bring 6 balls of colored yarn to class and we exchanged with one another for 6 different pieces from our "friends" and then those are used for the striping. The colors in the pic aren't quite TRUE to real life, but anyway, it gives an idea.

Friendship Sock

No comments:

Post a Comment