Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Knitting: Project 365 and more sock talk

So, yeah, I've been doing it this year. I think so far I've only missed one day... and maybe not really any, I just have to double check both cameras and the phone. I may surprise myself and really have a photo a day. Now... most of these photos are the suck... but really I don't care. When I have time to be creative, I will... but until then, you get what you get, really. And when I get off my lazy butt to get them all loaded up, I'll update my 365 set.

I've been pouring most of my creative outlet energy into knitting. Yes I have been doing a little bit every day. I'm really trying to get a pair of socks done... not just one, but BOTH. I am working the heel flap and it is slow going, but... of all things, I have now learned to knit BACKWARDS. Yes people, I thought it would be an arduous process, but not so much. The first step is doing. And once you do it and see it, it's like, DUH, why didn't I think of that before. I'm not quite too quick with it yet. I'm still changing how I hold the yarn and "throw" it. It's a small adjustment, but I have noticed, I'm getting through the row faster than I can purl a row, but I have also noticed my stitches are much tighter and not as loose as my knit.

My normal knit stitch isn't too loose, it's typically JUST right, but this backwards knit is definitely tighter, so I'll have to figure out the best method to loosen that up. On my eye of partridge heel, it's not that big of a deal, you won't notice a "row-out" but if I attempt this on something larger, say a sweater, it might be visible. But I'm also wondering with a larger weight yarn if it won't be as tight because right now, I'm on this fingering weight and giving it the death grip, where if it was worsted, I might not be so inclined to do so.

This backwards thing is something I will definitely continue to be doing. Especially for entrelac. I've been working this bag for like 2 years (maybe longer?) and it's been on the sidelines for awhile because there are so many more things that need done (i.e. the socks). But now that I have this new technique, maybe I'll pick it up and get through it faster. Of course this will definitely be after the sweater and socks that I'm currently doing. Again, it's the finishing year people! And this bag is something I've wanted for a long, long time. But already I'm in my head thinking of the NEXT sock project I want to work on.

I have this wonderful stripey yarn, it's the Knit Picks Schooner color and great for a spring-summer sock, so I'm considering maybe just a straight up knit around and around kind of sock. I'm dying to use that yarn up.

Speaking of yarns... I was a little less than pleased with the Knit Picks Imagination, Gingerbread House colorway. It's this tan with these bright red, blue and yellow streaks in it. For some reason it BOTHERS me. So I was considering giftin it to someone. BUT this morning, I had an epiphany. My friend just found out she's having a girl (yesterday) and I thought I could make the EZ Baby Surprise Jacket for her. And I should have enough yarn left over for some booties as well. Using the fingering/dk weight yarn (not sure what it's considered) and smaller needles will result in a smaller jacket for a newish born babe, depending on how big le baby is. So I'm excited once again and this yarn will no longer make ugly socks for me, but a cute jacket for baby. YAY!

And this really pays off well too because I've seen Ash's nursery colors and this jacket will definitely be in the same scheme. So it's doubly cool.

3 comments:

  1. I just saw a BSJ on Rav using Imagination, and it looked really nice!

    Congrats on learning how to knits backwards! I used that at one time, but now forget how. Like you said, it's intuitive. It's useful on a small number of stitches, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you share what source you used to learn backward knitting? I have been wanting to give it a try and was curious if you used a guide for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see you backwards knit tonight!

    ReplyDelete