Saturday, January 10, 2009

Knitting: To steek or not to steek

So I'm going to cast on for Addi's sweater today. It's a fair isle cardigan pattern, written as a flat knit, but rather than do that, I'm considering adopting Elizabeth Zimmerman's preference to knit in the round and steek it. I have another project that will be steeked which is the Aguona laptop bag kit from Knit Picks, but that will be some time as I've set it in hibernation for a bit. Just too many other things going on, but I haven't lost my love for it, nor am I mad at it, but it is in timeout all the same. :)

So steeking, it what's in! Just kidding, but I happened to run across an old interweave with a steeking article, of course I have all of EZ's references about it and the recent knit picks catalog has a section on it. SO I have plenty of resources to get me started. Well, I better go so I can get this casted on and get going. It should be an interesting learning experience.

1 comment:

  1. I'll add a link to your steeking information arsenal: http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/01/steeking_chronicles_the_should.html
    (Can't remember how to link on comments.) Eunny Jang has pages and pages on steeking. I like that she covers both sewn and crocheted steeks. Brooklyn Tweed suggested this link, so that's where I found out about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete