Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcome to 2009

SO I guess I need to start 2009 off a day or so late, but eh... no biggie.

We rang in the New Year with Andyman and the Prodigals at the LC. It was a fun time. I expected a lot more people, but it was a good crowd anyway.

For dinner on the first, we had Pork and Kraut, the obligatory first meal of the new year to bring luck or something. Where this tradition started, I have no clue. But it was something we did growing up, so I carry that with me. And Brian loves sauerkraut, too. I also made a brie-something. Can't remember the name, but basically it was brie wrapped in pastry with pecans and honey. Had it a few weeks ago and it was one of the best ways I've ever had Brie. Unfortunately, my pastry shell leaked and the brie rolled out into the dish all creamy and melty and mixed with the honey. It was still good though.

Today, was my appointment for eye surgery. I had lasek done in my left eye. And in my very bad right eye, he performed and AST/PRK surgery. I was pretty nervous while having it done. I think I may have stopped breathing a bit. I was trying to concentrate on that, but I've noticed that to concentrate on breathing it works better if I close my eyes, and I couldn't really do that.

The experience overall was quite weird. There is really no describing it, it's one of those things no one will understand unless they have it done. Basically, he peeled back my lids and did the business. I had to stare at this blinking green light and there was the buzz of the laser, me holding my breath, the nurse in the back saying 25% done, 50% done, 75% done, Kristie your left eye is complete. Then basically the same thing for the right, except it hurt a lot more. I can't tell you WHAT was different exactly, but it totally was and it was ouchy. I would have cried if I could. And then it was done, too. I couldn't really see that well out of the left eye at first, but I could see out of my right eye (and that was the BAD one).

Then they tape these plastic things over your eyes and you are done. Presto-magic-like. I have to wear the plastic to bed (not totally comfortable), but it's to ensure the flap doesn't move on the left eye and on the right I have a "contact bandage" to heal. I'll probably have the contact removed when I go back on Tuesday for my checkup. I have one tomorrow morning as well.

I took the pre-surgery valium, so the drive home I was getting fairly drowsy. Plus the LIGHT... OMG the light... killing me.

So I got home, got in bed and tried to sleep. I dozed a bit, not as long as I would have liked and when I woke up, I put the sunglasses back on and tried to put eye drops in. It was ridiculous. I actually went into my bedroom closet and closed the door. It was pitch black in there and I could finally open my eyes without pain. So I put one of the numbing drops in and it started to feel better. Sunglasses back on and back to bed. I just sat against the pillows with my eyes closed. It wasn't until my 2nd nap, that I feel so much better. There is still a twinge of pain in the right eye, but the left feels pretty good. And the light isn't bothersome anymore.

Now for the bad news... as the right eye heals, my vision will actually probably get cloudy and blurry over the next few days. BOO! But then... it will all be better.

And the good... I CAN SEE!!! Unaided with glasses, contacts, etc... it's definitely freeing and amazing and I'm so happy, even over the pain, I'm happier to not be a slave to the ritual anymore.

I didn't get any knitting done today, obviously, but that should be back on track tomorrow.

As part of my Project 365 for 2009, I give you ME in my glasses, for what will hopefully be the last time for a very long time.

1 comment: